Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This Week's Indulgences

I always seem to be a little late when getting into cool shit - music, television, what have you. But I wouldn't say I'm slow to pick up on things due to laziness or ignorance. I just hate buying into the hype and all the crap that goes with it -- like frat boys giving it their approval or the over exposure of the 'products' involved (pretty funny coming from a guy who has worked in advertising, pop-culture journalism and promotions, but it's true).


My indulgences this week that absolutely prove this point; the NBC television series 30 Rock and the Radiohead album In Rainbows.


I would occasionally find clips of the Emmy award-winning show 30 Rock on YouTube and mostly get clips of Tina Fey (surprisingly funny) and Tracy Morgan (surprisingly not as funny). I rented the first season DVD set on the weekend, and although I can't say it lived up to the hype that my Bocce buddies had talked up (what ever does?) it was pretty damn good. Alec Baldwin as NBC exec Jack Donaghy and Jack McBraye as NBC page Kenneth Parcell make the show for me. Not really being a fan of Fey's Saturday Night Live material, I was pleasantly surprised with the show's writing and acting.


Like everyone else, I anxiously waited to purchase and download In Rainbows back in October, 2007 when Radiohead offered it on-line, sans record company and price tag, but alas I never did.And after I gave the record a couple of listens on my friend's computer and thought it was worth a purchase, I just got sick every Thom, Dick and Harry talking about it. I just recently obtained the In Rainbow tracks and now can't get enough of the record. The hype was right on this one.

No comments: