Sunday, July 13, 2008

Redd Kross Neurotica

In 1987, my older sister's friend left us a cassette copy of Redd Kross' Neurotica he picked up as an impulse buy at the counter of a local record store. He said it was either Neurotica or Memoentary Lapse Reason by Pink Floyd.
I remember listening to that cassette over and over again, trying to convince anyone to listen to it, but to no avail. I tried to play it for the cool kids at school, no one heard of them.

Then in 1992, while working the kitchen of a Scottish pub, I heard on the radio that Kurt Cobain cited Neurotica as one of the inspirations for Nevermind.

On June17 I saw the Redd Kross in concert -- with the original Neurotica line-up -- at Toronto's Lee's Palace. It is a rare thing to watch a rock show, where all the cats on stage are smiling ear to ear for practically the whole show.

I'm so glad we aren't talking about Momentary Lapse of Reason








No comments: