Friday, November 14, 2008

Brian Burke and Jennifer Mather Coming to Toronto?

Within hours of announcing his resignation as General Manager of the Anaheim Ducks, the talk of the NHL world has Brian Burke headed to the Toronto Maple Leafs as their new GM and President.

The Leafs have coveted the American-born hockey exec since the firing of John Fergeson Jr. in January of 2008 and replaced him with interim GM Cliff Fletcher.

Burke, seemingly, would relish coming to hockey-mad Toronto, as he has made it clear he would like to work in the Eastern conference and preferably in Canada, so his wife - a Canadian not able to work in the U.S - can resume her journalism career.

The turn of events has me excited on two fronts. First, as a die-hard Leaf fan, I think Burke could be a great GM and President for the Leafs, perhaps turning them into a Stanley Cup contender after 41 years of losing. But the kicker in the deal is Burke's wife Jennifer Mather.

When I lived in Vancouver in 1994-95, I fell for Jennifer Mather, then a news reader on BCTV. I even wrote a little pop song about her called "Jen-Jen." I don't remember much of the song, only that the final lyric went something like: "I wish I was Squire Barnes so I could sit beside her every night on the TV."

Squire Barnes is a geeky sportscaster, that co-hosted the news program with Mather on BCTV.

Read the faceoff.com story.


No comments: